Reports To: Philanthropy & Communications
Compensation: Grade 5; $21.49 per hour; 5% increase to $22.56 per hour after six (6) months of satisfactory performance.
Schedule: 37.5 hours weekly, primarily Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm with occasional work required on evenings and weekends.
Post of Duty & Travel: This position is a flexible work from home position with one day per week required to work in the office.
Purpose: Under general guidance of the Director of Public Policy & Special Projects, the Community Outreach Specialist supports the mission and goals of the organization through effective coordination and implementation of outreach opportunities, including tabling, community partnership and outreach, and speaking engagements. This position will support agency goals by providing strategic grassroots outreach to neighborhood associations, small businesses, community partners, and more.
Our Commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity:
At Pima Council on Aging, we don’t just accept differences – their importance is one of our key values. We are committed to building a team that serves the community by representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, skills, and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we support diversity, foster equity, and are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible environment for all.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Coordinate agency participation in tabling events and requests for presentations, review, and process registration paperwork, and ensure appropriate staffing of events by staff and volunteers. Maintain accurate records.
• Research and provide outreach to community partners, in partnership with the Director of Public Policy & Special Projects, to expand the community’s understanding of PCOA’s programs and services.
• Provide outreach to local businesses, religious institutions, neighborhood associations, and other community organizing groups.
• Collect and report data on outreach, analyzing both successes and failures as they arise.
• Assist in development and implementation a field strategy for implementation of the PCOA
Community Needs Assessment:
• Assist with developing messaging for social media as it relates to campaigns in progress.
• Assist in scheduling volunteer shifts, appointments, and answering questions.
• Assist in the recruitment, training, and oversight of volunteers, as needed.
• Plan and implement meetings as assigned, including conference and other non-fundraising events.
• Engage with community members to educate on PCOA’s mission and available programming as needed.
• Assist in outreach for special campaigns as they arise.
• Assist with planning and implementation of departmental activities, as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education and experience related to the position may be considered.
• High School Diploma or applicable experience in community outreach, marketing, communications, or related field; Some college with an emphasis in Communications, Marketing, Social Work, Public Health, Political Science, or a closely related field preferred.
• One (1) to two (2) years experience in communications, community outreach, or political campaigns.
• Experience in campaign management, delivering presentations, and tracking data outputs preferred.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
• Possession of a valid Arizona driver’s license, current automobile insurance, and/or reliable transportation.
• Ability to successfully obtain and maintain AZ Level 1 fingerprint clearance and Central Registry background clearance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms.
• Ability to effectively communicate with, receive information from, and convey information to others.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to professionally represent the organization and work effectively with diverse populations including staff, clients, and providers.
• Understanding of, and demonstrated commitment to the vision, mission, and values of Pima Council on Aging.
• Knowledge of aging issues and resources available to older adults and their families.
• Good organizational, program development, and program management skills.
Physical & Environmental Factors:
• This position mostly works remotely and should be able to maintain quiet, confidential space with appropriate internet connectivity to accomplish duties.
• This position occasionally works in an office environment with low noise level due mostly to office equipment.
• Employee must be able to endure Arizona’s environmental pressures while in the field, including extreme heat, cold, or rain.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, and occasionally climb or balance, squat, stoop, twist, turn, push, pull, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Hearing requirements include ability to listen and respond appropriately to conversations in person and over the phone.
PCOA reserves the right to modify and interpret this position description. This description in no way implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This position description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise; the employment relationship remains “at-will.” The position requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
To apply for this position, please download and complete our job application using this link. Please submit your completed application along with supporting documents below, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 520-762-4773.