Abuse & Exploitation

Are you worried a loved one is being financially, emotionally, or physically abused or neglected?

Experiencing abuse or neglect can often happen as we age. PCOA’s Elder Rights and Benefits Department can help intervene and advocate for you if you are over 60 years of age. Services offered include one-on-one counseling or advice, contacting creditors or other entities on behalf of clients, assisting clients in filling out forms, filing for property tax refunds, benefits enrollment, and much more. We help negotiate landlord/tenant disputes, as well as hoarding issues. We can help with accessing financial assistance resources, and consumer issues such as unfair sales practices and unsatisfactory service.

Reporting Abuse, Neglect, or Exploitation:

If there is an immediate threat to your life, health, or safety, call 911 immediately.

  • If you or someone you know has been a victim of elder fraud, help is standing by at the National Elder Fraud Hotline. Call 833–FRAUD–11 or 833–372–8311 every day from 6:00 a.m.–11:00 p.m. Eastern Time. English/Español/Other languages are available. Reporting suspected fraud is the first step. Reporting can help authorities try to stop those who commit fraud and also help prevent others from becoming victims. Experts will help you navigate this process.  The hotline provides personalized service at no cost to you and a case manager will help you through the reporting process at the federal, state, and local levels. You will also be connected with other resources on a case-by-case basis.
  • Long-Term Care Ombudsmen can provide assistance and advocacy if you are living in an assisted living facility. Contact 520-790-7262 or email ltco@pcoa.org for assistance and advocacy.
  • Arizona Adult Protective Services is a state-run agency that can help to investigate alleged neglect, abuse, and financial exploitation for vulnerable adults unable to protect themselves due or physical or mental impairment.
  • Senior Anti-Fraud Hotline takes reports of suspected fraud or potential fraud against older people. They investigate instances related to retirement savings, identity theft, phone scams, Medicare, Social Security, and other consumer related issues. Call 855-303-9470 for more information.
  • Arizona Department of Health Services is the agency responsible for licensing, inspecting, and monitoring facilities in which you or a loved one may reside. You can contact Arizona Department of Health Services at 602-364-2536.

For more information, call PCOA at 520-790-7262 or email help@pcoa.org.